After obtaining a non-b visa, foreign teachers need another document to legally work in Thailand: the work permit.

This document is about the size of a passport. You will rarely actually use this work permit in your daily life. Nonetheless, you must maintain possession of it to remain on the right side of Thai law.  

Work permits are also useful for opening a bank account and qualifying for certain government resources that are available for residents but not for tourists.

What you’ll need to get a work permit:

Your employer should apply for the work permit on your behalf.